Principal, Bridgeport Middle School
Travis Whisenant has been principal at Bridgeport Middle School since 2011. For more than 10 years, he has been with Bridgeport ISD where he also has served as assistant superintendent of curriculum and instruction and as a high school teacher.
Mr. Whisenant is know throughout North Texas for getting the BMS students involved in their community and for implementing innovative and strong academic programs at his school, by:
- Providing MacBook Air Laptop Computers to all students
- Adding high school credit electives for Art, Theater Arts and CTE as well as implementing independent studies courses for foreign languages, Art Appreciation and Music Appreciation
- Activating Professional Learning Communities for instructional departments and grade-level teaming
- Increasing the number of UIL and TMSCA Math-Science state qualifiers, which included the team being named state champions in 2014
- Supporting Community Problem Solvers, which placed first in Texas and third in International Competitions
- Initiating programs for students with special interests, such as a Student Broadcast News Team, which produces weekly webcasts, Junior National Honor Society, Outdoor Adventures, and STEM/Robotics competitive squads
- Implementing the five following instructional methodology: Fundamental Five, Write From the Beginning, Thinking Maps, Buck Institute/PBL, and Jensen Engagement Strategies
Mr. Whisenant is credited with implementing numerous educational programs throughout his career, including the BISD Curriculum Plan and designing the Carroll ISD's Social Studies curriculum.
In 2009, Mr. Whisenant received the Texas ASCD Curriculum Leadership Fellow. He was also one of only 50 educators selected to attend the Apple Academy in Cupertino, CA in 2011.
He received his bachelor's degree from Abilene Christian University and his master's in education from University of North Texas.
For more information, feel free to contact the school office at (940) 683-2273 or fax at (940) 683-5812